[SIGCIS-Members] History of Prolog

Paul McJones paul at mcjones.org
Wed Mar 30 09:53:59 PDT 2022

> On Mar 30, 2022, at 8:19 AM, christine mitchell <christletine at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have a report on the systèmes-Q / Q-systems Colmerauer wrote in Montreal if anyone is interested. Q-systems became the foundation of a system called TAUM-MÉTÉO, used to translate Canadian government weather reports – used for 20 years. I can't answer questions about Q-systems themselves, but am familiar with the project in Montreal. (TAUM – Projet de traduction automatique de l'Université de Montréal.)

Christine,

A scan of Colmerauer’s original Q-systems report is online at his personal web site:

> Alain Colmerauer. Les systèmes-q ou un formalisme pour analyser et synthétiser des phrases sur ordinateur. Internal publication no 43, Département d'Informatique, Université de Montréal, September 1970. Online at alain.colmerauer.free.fr <http://alain.colmerauer.free.fr/alcol/ArchivesPublications/SystemesQ/SystemesQ.pdf>
After coming across Brian Harris’s article I have been trying (so far unsuccessfully) to find a copy of the 1971 TAUM report:

> Alain Colmerauer, editor. TAUM 71. Montreal: Projet de Traduction Automatique de l'Université de Montréal, January 1971, 223 pages.
> Brian Harris and Laurent Belisle. POLYGRAM grapho-morphology analyzer for English. In TAUM 71, pp. 46-105.

Here’s the Q-systems section of the web site I mentioned in my previous message:

http://www.softwarepreservation.org/projects/prolog/l#Montreal <http://www.softwarepreservation.org/projects/prolog/l#Montreal>

Paul