[SIGCIS-Members] History of Prolog

christine mitchell christletine at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 08:19:16 PDT 2022

Hi Pierre,

This may be known to you already, but prior to Prolog, Colmerauer headed up
a machine translation project at the Université de Montréal, 1968-1971.
Brian Harris – translation theorist – shares some recollections of working
with Colmerauer here:
https://unprofessionaltranslation.blogspot.com/2017/06/alain-colmerauer-machine-translation.html

I have a report on the systèmes-Q / Q-systems Colmerauer wrote in Montreal
if anyone is interested. Q-systems became the foundation of a system called
TAUM-MÉTÉO, used to translate Canadian government weather reports – used
for 20 years. I can't answer questions about Q-systems themselves, but am
familiar with the project in Montreal. (TAUM – Projet de traduction
automatique de l'Université de Montréal.)

Best,
Christine