[SIGCIS-Members] Apple II DOS question

Brian Berg brianberg at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 18:19:49 PST 2021

(note re: this post: Andy Hertzfeld may also provide a reply)

From: Ron Nicholson
Date: Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 2:37 PM
Subject: Re: Apple II DOS question

My knowledge only goes back to mid-1980, after DOS 3.3 was already on the
market, but at that point in time, in-depth knowledge of RWTS
(read-write-track-sector) code seemed to be fairly widespread knowledge
within the Apple II programmer community.

An RWTS was included in the boot ROM on the Disk II controller board.  Game
programmer's could probably quote the necessary 6502 assembly language code
required in hex needed to implement an RWTS, and then read or write an
Apple II floppy without DOS.  So they didn't need DOS to load their games,
and they could hardcode their own customized RWTS routine directly into
their game or app.

There were a vast number of schemes, using custom RWTS routines (sometimes
encrypted), to render a disk format incompatible with the DOS disk copy,
and then play cat and mouse against the copy apps.  Andy Hertzfeld likely
knows a ton more about them that I do.

Ron