[SIGCIS-Members] Apple II DOS question

MikeWillegal mike at willegal.net
Wed Feb 24 18:17:48 PST 2021

Hi Laine,

I have no first hand knowledge of any rights issue regarding DOS, but I purchased an Apple ][ before Disk ][ was available and was particularly excited to get my Disk ][ early on.  Based on my experience, I would like to share an observation.

My first thought when I read your message is that I can’t imagine that putting DOS on a distribution disk ever was an issue at all.  Basically almost every Apple II floppy disk that I ever saw was DOS bootable, unless it was a data only disk.  My second thought is that this is probably why you could find no documentation about the issue.

Just to be sure my memory hadn’t failed me,I checked an original floppy of some very early HAM software by Dr. Christopher Galfo, which I obtained from Dr Galfo himself, a couple of years ago.  Sure enough it was DOS bootable.  By the way, he had an unusual copy protection scheme.  He put a key part of the software on a second disc which had the software on some arbitrary tracks in the middle of the disk and the others tracks were left unformatted.  The program on the bootable disk knew where to look for the rest of program, but DOS couldn’t mount the second disk.  This scheme had no dependency on any special version of DOS.

regards,
Mike Willegal