[SIGCIS-Members] Help for sources

Adam Hyland achyland at uw.edu
Mon Jul 17 13:06:34 PDT 2023

>From a colleague on Discord (the future is strange):

“Robertson Allen, iirc, is an anthropologist who studied America’s Army,
including ethnographic research at the Army’s recruitment events (where
they had playing the game as part of their activities/exhibits). See:
https://www.nebraskapress.unl.edu/nebraska/9780803285293 “

This comes a little later than your target period, but I hope it will be
helpful nevertheless.

On Sun, Jul 16, 2023 at 8:08 AM gregorio magnanego gatell via Members <
members at lists.sigcis.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm a History of Science PhD researcher of the Universitat Autónoma de
> Barcelona interested in the history of video games in the 90s. My thesis is
> focused on the relationship between the USA industry of games and the
> commercialization of video games in Spain from 1993 to 2001 (first
> generation of 3D graphics). In the last times, I'm researching the
> connections of the entertainment world and the Department of Defense of the
> USA. I found the document "Modeling & Simulation Master Plan" (DOD, 1995),
> about the development and administration of modeling and simulation
> technology (VR, 3D graphics, IA...) for the army (with objectives of
> training, planification and weapons control). Also, I'm studying the
> approximation of Defense and Entertainment in the workshop of Illinois in
> 1997 "Modeling and simulation: linking Entertainment and Defense".
> If anybody of you could inform me of any source that you consider relevant
> for the study of these topics, in particular regard to the Spanish case, I
> would be very grateful.
>
> Thanks for your time.

Adam Hyland (*he/him)*
adampunk.com