[SIGCIS-Members] faxing, covid, and printout v faxing confusion

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 16:03:08 PDT 2021

Larry,

Note the irony that you cited a document whose canonical version is a plain text file written in a typewriter-compatible font and suitable for printing on an obsolete type of printer such as a good old Diabolo (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5bodpSsFl8).

The RFC system graduated to XML as its canonical format with HTML as the preferred rendering, but only in October 2019: https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8651 .

Regards
   Brian Carpenter

On 24-Sep-21 05:37, Larry Masinter wrote:
> RFC 2542 - Terminology and Goals for Internet Fax (ietf.org) <https://tools.ietf.org/search/rfc2542>
>

> In 1999, this was an attempt to describe what fax was and why anyone on
the internet would care (or not).

> These days, you can  hold a piece of paper to your camera in a zoom call.
>
> --
>
> https://LarryMasinter.net <https://LarryMasinter.net> https://interlisp.org <https://interlisp.org>

about how healthcare is often the last major sector to adopt IT innovation.  the article is an excellent example of that and i'll pass it along, even though these students were born well after the decline of fax.