[SIGCIS-Members] Current use of floppy disks

Matthew Kirschenbaum mkirschenbaum at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 12:57:48 PDT 2021

Of possible help, this chapter I wrote on floppy disks for the Routledge
Companion to Obsolescent Media. Available here:

https://hcommons.org/deposits/item/hc:27175/

Opens with the much circulated bit of lore about Minuteman missile crews
still relying on them for launch codes.

On Fri, Nov 5, 2021 at 3:54 PM Marc Weber <marc at webhistory.org> wrote:

> Not quite current but close – two years ago the U.S. Navy finally phased
> them out on nuclear submarines:
> https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/24/us/nuclear-weapons-floppy-disks.html
> Best, Marc
>
> *Marc Weber* <https://computerhistory.org/profile/marc-weber/>
> *Curatorial Director, Internet History Program*
> Computer History Museum, 1401 N Shoreline Blvd., Mountain View CA 94043
> marc at webhistory.org  |  +1 415 282 6868
> computerhistory.org/nethistory  |  Co-founder, Web History Center and
> Project
>
> On Nov 5, 2021, at 08:08, James A Hodges <james.hodges at rutgers.edu> wrote:
>
> Perhaps also not what the journalist is looking to hear, but there are
> still some vintage music production tools (ie samplers and synthesizers)
> that use floppy disk storage. The Yamaha DX7 II FD synth and Akai s950
> sampler are classic machines that still get used in studios today, and the
> Roland SP-808 sampler even uses ancient 100mb Zip Disks for storage!
> However, many of these machines, if they're still in use, have been updated
> to use new forms of storage or data transfer in place of the old floppy
> drives. This means that there is an interesting little cottage industry of
> people working to enable such conversions via new software and hardware.
>
> On Fri, Nov 5, 2021 at 6:28 AM McMillan, William W <
> william.mcmillan at cuaa.edu> wrote:
>
>> Interesting question, Martin!
>>
>> There are plenty of us who have old files on floppy disks. I have a
>> USB-connected floppy drive handy to read these if and when I want to.
>>
>> Some old Boeing 747s still use floppies:
>>
>> https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/a33612762/boeing-747-floppy-disk-updates/
>>
>> There are probably other dedicated real-time security and control systems
>> in low-tech settings that still use floppies.
>>
>> Hobbyists and old-gear aficionados, including nostalgic gamers, still use
>> them. (I have an old Windows 7 computer, with floppy drive, disconnected
>> from the Internet, which I use just for computer programming.)
>>
>> Bill
>>

>> <https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/a33612762/boeing-747-floppy-disk-updates/>
>> Floppy Disks: Do They Still Work? | 747s Still Use Floppy Disks - Popular
>> Mechanics
>> <https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/a33612762/boeing-747-floppy-disk-updates/>
>> Some Boeing 747s still use 3.5-inch floppy disks to load updated
>> navigational databases. That sounds crazy, but it isn't.
>> www.popularmechanics.com

Matthew Kirschenbaum
Professor of English and Digital Studies
Director, Graduate Certificate in Digital Studies
Printer's Devil, BookLab
University of Maryland
mgk at umd.edu