[SIGCIS-Members] Material and embodied practices of people doing mathematics, symbolic logic, and calculation

David Ribes dribes at uw.edu
Fri Mar 5 15:38:39 PST 2021

Great topic. Great thread.

You might want to check out Netz' The Shaping of Deduction in Greek
Mathematics
<https://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=VwggGX0ORLkC&oi=fnd&pg=PR11&dq=Reviel+Netz&ots=O7iqkYjKcE&sig=9OdPrq82lUfBXLuCfjIceLAMoYs#v=onepage&q=Reviel%20Netz&f=false>.
Bruno Latour wrote an astoundingly rave review.
<https://www.researchgate.net/publication/281503090_The_Netz-Works_of_Greek_Deductions_-_A_Review_of_Reviel_Netz's_The_Shaping_of_Deductions_in_Greek_Mathematics>
Personally, I failed to get through it.

In a less historical vein though (one reference each, but each is a little
subfield):

The ethnomethodologists have done a series of investigations that are about
as practical/embodied as you can get, at least in their way:
The ethnomethodological foundations of mathematics
<https://www.amazon.com/Ethnomethodological-Foundations-Mathematics-Studies-Ethnomethodology/dp/0710203357>

The distributed cognition folk tackled this too:
Collaboration, distributed cognition, and geometric reasoning
<https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11412-011-9113-0>

And, my personal favorite, is the lovely work of Jean Lave who followed
people around as they grocery shopped (and which spawned a vast literature
on maths dubbed 'communities of practice'):
Cognition in Practice
<https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/cognition-in-practice/2AF0745B4B8636436A1DF8AAF374BB9E>

david.
--