[SIGCIS-Members] After Post-Photography 6+ – Call for papers by M.A. and PhD candidates of Photography Studies (3-5 June 2021, European University St. Petersburg/online)

Friedrich Tietjen ft at mur.at
Thu Mar 4 12:04:17 PST 2021

   Dear members of SIGCIS,
please have a look at the CfP below - me and my Russian colleagues
would very much welcome if you would distribute it further to possibly
interested parties through your networks.
    Best wishes from rainy Leipzig
    Friedrich

---snip---

After Post-Photography 6+ – Call for papers by M.A. and PhD candidates
of Photography Studies (3-5 June 2021, European University St.
Petersburg/online)

Due to commonly known reasons, the annual After Post-Photography
conference on visual studies, history and theory of photography will
have to happen online and not at the European University in St.
Petersburg. We very much regret not meeting colleagues and friends,
listening what they have to say about their newest research and trade
ideas, stories and gossip during the coffee breaks. Yet we’ll use the
opportunity to add a third day to the conference for M.A. and PhD
candidates to pitch their projects and get substantial feedback from
the participants of the conference and the APP community.
	This Call for Papers has no specific subject – we’re open to, and
interested in, M.A. and PhD projects from all walks of research,
including, but not limited to, the history of photolithography as a
tool in the semi-conductor industry, queer photographers in Latin
America, the accessibility of tintype portraits to members of the
lower strata of society in the 1880s in the US, the under-the-counter
trade in pornographic photography in the countries of the former
eastern bloc before 1989, the interlacing of photography and music in
Jazz, private photography in Mongolia before 1990, social media
photography in sub-saharan Africa, the changing perceptions of time
through ultra-highspeed photography, the photo-journalist as an avatar
in video games, post-indexical photography, the history of gum
bichromate as one of the most versatile emulsions in the late 19th
century, Jeff Wall’s lightboxes as apparitions, sceptic re-readings of
Roland Barthes’ vitriolic critique of “Family of Man” or similar, or
completely different topics.
	Please submit your proposal of no more than 1600 characters in
English no later than March 28 at
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=app60. As we will blind review
the submissions, make sure that your name does not appear in the
proposal itself. If your work aims at analyzing visual material we
also welcome links where we can see what you intend talking about. If
you have any questions, please send an eMail to app at mur.at – we should
get back to you within a few days. And should you like to know more
about previous conferences, have a look at our website
http://after-post.photography/