[SIGCIS-Members] histories of computing in Asia (first CFP)

Christopher Leslie chrisleslienyc at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 11 21:22:42 PST 2021

Dear Colleagues,

Academic researchers, public historians, and industry professionals who are interested in the histories of computing in Asia will share their interdisciplinary insights at the next meeting of IFIP’s Working Group 9.7. Our current plan is to meet concurrently with the Human Choice and Computers 15 conference at Chuo University, Tokyo, in September 2022, but we will accommodate participants who cannot join us in person.

The theme of the workshop is histories of computing in Asia. The program committee will consider any paper in line with this theme, but we are particularly interested in topics such as:

A. Internationalism. Frameworks for understanding multinational cooperation and innovation

B. Science and Technology Studies. History and philosophy of technology, from east to west

C. Pedagogy. Teaching the history of computing in or about Asia

D. Public History and Imagination. Remembering and presenting histories of computing

This workshop will build on Working Group 9.7’s successes in highlighting the international history of computing, resulting in Springer volumes on Nordic countries, Soviet and Russian computing, and eastern Europe. Even though the workshop language is English, many of our participants do not speak English as a first language; we are committed to international exchange, so we encourage all researchers to participate regardless of language ability.

Following WG 9.7’s typical practice, we request the submission of draft papers for consideration because we are focused on producing an excellent proceedings volume, which contain selected, revised papers and be published by Springer. Three members of the program committee (which consists both of people with expertise in the field and generalists) will review each paper anonymously, make comments to the author(s), and recommend whether the paper should be included as part of the workshop. Draft papers will be accepted during the month of March 2022.

The ongoing pandemic has created many challenges (including the postponement of this workshop, which was originally scheduled for 2020). The dynamic situation necessitates our collective flexibility, so we are committed to accommodating all researchers in 2022 by employing a hybrid format. Those presenters who are able will meet in Japan along with our colleagues at HCC 15. For some people, travelling may be impossible or uncomfortable, so we will provide a means for remote presentations. As we get closer to the workshop date, we will coordinate presentation modes with all accepted participants. At this time, it is not necessary to decide if you will present in-person or remotely.

Questions may be addressed to the working group chair, Chris Leslie: chrisleslienyc at hotmail.com <mailto:chrisleslienyc at hotmail.com?subject=HCA%202022>. More information about the workshop and the working group is available at http://ifipwg97.org/workshops/hca2022/ <http://ifipwg97.org/workshops/hca2022/>
Sincerely,

Chris Leslie
Chair, IFIP Working Group 9.7 - History of Computing