[SIGCIS-Members] TT position in Information Culture and Data Stewardship at Pitt

Annette Vee annettevee at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 03:49:23 PST 2021

This tenure-track position in Information Culture and Data Stewardship at
the School of Computing and Information at University of Pittsburgh may be
of interest to some on this list. Please share with others who might
appreciate the notice, too. Pittsburgh is a fabulous place to be working on
computing, and great colleagues, too!

-Annette

--

Annette Vee

Director of Composition and Associate Professor

University of Pittsburgh | Department of English

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Full job listing:
https://cfopitt.taleo.net/careersection/pitt_faculty_external/jobdetail.ftl?job=21008660&lang=en
<https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcfopitt.taleo.net%2Fcareersection%2Fpitt_faculty_external%2Fjobdetail.ftl%3Fjob%3D21008660%26lang%3Den&data=04%7C01%7Cannettevee%40pitt.edu%7Cc620362b932d4ae78cda08d9bb448594%7C9ef9f489e0a04eeb87cc3a526112fd0d%7C1%7C0%7C637746725230496053%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=Xz%2F6hrGiqMMkVQ8FZy0IUAr28htsqZsh0elxHcUEfvY%3D&reserved=0>

Faculty Professor, Assistant - Full-Time
SCI-Information Culture and Data Stewardship - Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh - (
21008660)

*Tenure-Stream Faculty Position*

As the University of Pittsburgh’s newest school, the School of Computing
and Information (SCI) is a growing interdisciplinary community of faculty,
staff, and students who are accustomed to progressing through change,
thinking beyond boundaries, and innovating new approaches to lead our
institution and nation to positive change. Since 2017, SCI has hired more
than twenty-five new faculty members, and we are continuing our growth with
multiple openings in the tenure stream this year. At SCI, we particularly
seek candidates that support our mission in creating, nurturing, and
sustaining an equitable environment that values our differences and
promotes these values within and beyond our school.

The University of Pittsburgh is building a culturally diverse faculty and
strongly encourages applications from women and minority candidates. SCI is
fostering an equitable and inclusive community with our scholarship,
education, and faculty development initiatives, including policies to
promote a healthy work-life balance; programs to meet the needs of
two-career couples; and a commitment to recruit, retain and develop a
diverse faculty. Candidates whose research, teaching, and service
contribute to the academic diversity of our campus and who have
demonstrated commitment to working with students from diverse backgrounds
are encouraged to apply.

SCI’s interdisciplinary research and education include computer science,
information science, and library and information science with rich
connections to partners in health sciences, medicine, engineering, social
sciences, humanities, business, and other areas.

*About the Position*

*Digital archives, large-scale data, and computing* (Assistant Professor,
Department of Information Culture and Data Stewardship) Position #02191

Building on our 100+ year legacy of engagement with information and its
relationship to human needs and communities, the Department of Information
Culture and Data Stewardship (ICDS) (www.icds.pitt.edu) is rooted in the
disciplinary foundations of information systems, critical data studies,
digital ethics, archival studies, and librarianship within the context of
the computational and information sciences in the School of Computing and
Information. Our mission is to educate information professionals in a
professional master’s-level program accredited by a national body, as well
as researchers, academics, and future deans and directors in a
discipline-related Ph.D. program.

Our faculty are focused on the roles and impact that data and information
have on individuals and communities. We recognize that many structures of
inequality, social injustice and systemic oppression are often enforced and
propagated by information and technological systems. Our scholarship
examines these contemporary, complex and interdisciplinary challenges
through rigorous inquiry into information behaviors, the creation of new
technologies and approaches designed for inclusion and equity, and the
critical exploration of technology’s positive and negative impact on
society and culture.

The ICDS faculty seeks a tenure-stream colleague at the Assistant Professor
level who can strengthen and expand the department’s scholarship, raise its
research profile, and support interdisciplinary scholarship by building
cross-discipline collaborations within the school and across the
university. We seek a scholar working at the intersections of people,
communities, information/data systems and technology who uses qualitative
or quantitative methods, or a mix of the two, related to a disciplinary
area. The candidate must demonstrate a strong interest in impactful
interdisciplinary research and scholarship at the intersection of the
following or other closely related areas:

   - Digital Archives
   - Computational archival studies/ Computational approaches to managing
   and analyzing digital collections
   - Cultural heritage informatics
   - Open government and civic data
   - Data curation/research data curation/data archives
   - Curation and management of scientific and research data
   - Digital preservation at scale; Internet/Web Archiving & Preservation;
   Preservation of ICTs
   - Computational engagement with large-scale image collections
   - Critical Data Studies and the social implications of data-driven
   systems particularly in ways archival tools and records can have oppressive
   as well as liberating functions.
   - Engagement with archives-focused, large-scale data models and
   standards such as ISAD(G), ISAAR(CPF), CIDOC-CRM, EAC, EAC-CPF, EAD, IIIF,
   METS, MODS, PREMIS, JSON-LD, RDA

*Minimum qualifications*

   - Candidates should hold or will have earned a Ph.D. or equivalent by
   September 1, 2022, in an area relevant to the position.
   - The candidate should have a demonstrated ability to publish in
   peer-reviewed academic venues.
   - Candidates should demonstrate proficiency within the methodologies of
   their related disciplinary area; whether qualitative, quantitative, or mixed

*Preferred qualifications*

   - Candidates should have evidence of and commitment to quality teaching
   at the undergraduate and graduate levels
   - A record of engagement with communities and/or constituencies through
   the deployment of systems, technologies, methods, and/or practices
   demonstrates an impact on those constituencies.
   - Experience with grant-funded research

We have other openings in the tenure stream for computer science,
information science, and library science. Please see
https://sci.pitt.edu/recruiting for more details.

*Application Process*

Individuals interested in these openings may apply at
https://sci.pitt.edu/recruiting. A completed application includes a cover
letter, curriculum vitae, research statement, teaching statement, statement
of commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive community, and the names
and contact information for at least three recommenders.

Application review will begin immediately. We anticipate that individuals
will be invited to interview on campus starting in February 2022. *For best
consideration, please apply by January 31, 2022. *The anticipated start
date is September 1, 2022. Questions about this position and/or application
status should be emailed to sci-recruit at pitt.edu.