[SIGCIS-Members] Vint Hill Farms, VA

Schmitt, Martin martin.schmitt at tu-darmstadt.de
Mon Oct 26 15:57:45 PDT 2020

The quarter of the computer pioneers! The story of the area formerly used by state surveillance reminds me a little bit of the bunker sold by the German military to a Dutch business man to operate his dark net activities in the German province: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/08/03/the-cold-war-bunker-that-became-home-to-a-dark-web-empire

The Cold War left us with some fascinating infrastructure around.

In Germany, many streets are named after Konrad Zuse by the way. To my knowledge, none of them crosses a Gottfried Leibniz Street.

Best
Martin

Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter | Post-Doc | digital enthusiast

Technische Universität Darmstadt
Institut für Geschichte
Fachgebiet Technikgeschichte

Mail: martin.schmitt at tu-darmstadt.de<mailto:martin.schmitt at tu-darmstadt.de>
Tel: +49  6151-16-57327
http://www.computerisierung.com

&

Assoziierter Wissenschaftler
LEIBNIZ-ZENTRUM FÜR ZEITHISTORISCHE FORSCHUNG | POTSDAM

Vice Chair IFIP WG 9.7 „History of computing"

Zuletzt erschienen: Leslie, Christopher und Martin Schmitt (eds.): Histories of Computing in Eastern Europe, Cham: Springer International Publishing 2019 (IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology 549), https://www.springer.com/978-3-030-29159-4