[SIGCIS-Members] Vint Hill Farms, VA

Ceruzzi, Paul CeruzziP at si.edu
Mon Oct 26 15:20:11 PDT 2020

I wrote about this a few years ago, but many of you haven't heard of this. Vint Hill Farms was for many years a listening post for intercepting foreign radio transmissions, including some that were of crucial significance during the Second World War. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vint_Hill_Farms_Station>

After it was decommissioned in 1997 the NSA "sanitized" the property and turned it over to commercial and other government uses. <https://vinthill.com/>.

The reason I mention this is that a housing development on one corner of the property has some interesting names of streets:
Cray Drive, Osborne Drive, Sutherland Court, Shugart Court, Auerbach Court, Hillis Court, Wilkes Court, Wirth Lane, Macintosh Drive, Sholes Court [?], von Neumann Circle, and Aiken Drive, and Eckert Court.
<https://goo.gl/maps/5aMYoRkjVt6xpRyUA>

Last time I visited, I asked the real estate agents who came up with the names, but they did not know. The property has an extensive web site, but I did not see any clues there either, unless I missed something.  I really wanted to know:  which Eckert--Wallace or Presper?

Do we have a real estate developer lurking among us?

Paul Ceruzzi