[SIGCIS-Members] Tree diagrams in computer science and other fields (i.e. genealogy)

Matthew Battles matthew at metalab.harvard.edu
Thu Mar 26 14:21:45 PDT 2020

Manuel Lima's *The Book of Trees: Visualizing Branches of Knowledge*
<https://www.amazon.com/Book-Trees-Visualizing-Branches-Knowledge/dp/1616892188>
is another good starting point; Anthony Grafton's *Cartographies of Time
<https://www.amazon.com/Cartographies-Time-Timeline-Anthony-Grafton/dp/B00ANYTMUM>*,
exploring linearity in temporal thinking, is probably germane, too
(apologies for the Amazon links).

Deleuze & Guattari make much of the comparison between rhizomatic &
arborescent form, too, if you're amenable to that perspective.

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 5:03 PM Jeff Scott Nagy <jsnagy at stanford.edu> wrote:

> Dear Bernie,
>
> If by trees in CS you mean at least in part the abstract data type, Knuth
> gives a short history and bibliography on pp. 406-7 of the first volume of
>  *The Art of Computer Programming*, the section beginning with "Trees
> have of course been in existence since the third day of creation..." On
> p. 459, he gives a little more on the history of trees as CS data
> structures in particular.
>
> Happy to send photos of these pages if they'd be of use! I think the files
> are too big to not get bounced by the list though.
>
> Sincerely,
> Jeff

@matthewbattles <http://twitter.com/matthewbattles>
associate director, metaLAB (at) harvard <http://metalab.harvard.edu/>|berkman
klein center for internet & society <http://cyber.law.harvard.edu>
*While we're active in many places, most often, we're physically located on
Wampanoag and Massachusett lands.*