[SIGCIS-Members] History of Analog Computing Lecture-Linda Hall Library (Aug. 8)

Benjamin Gross grossb at lindahall.org
Tue Aug 6 07:42:16 PDT 2019

Hello, everyone!

This Thursday, August 8, the Linda Hall Library will be hosting a public lecture that may be of interest to the broader SIGCIS community.

Corey Maley, an Associate Professor of Philosophy at the University of Kansas, will be presenting a talk entitled "Analog Computation in a Digital World: Understanding the Place of a Bygone Technology in Contemporary Science."

Here is a synopsis from the Library website<https://www.lindahall.org/event/analog-computation-in-a-digital-world-understanding-the-place-of-a-bygone-technology-in-contemporary-science/>:

Analog computers were once the dominant computing machines in engineering and science, but have now been almost completely replaced by digital computers. While there are practical reasons for preferring digital computers over analog, there are theoretical reasons to rehabilitate our understanding of analog computation. Neuroscientists and cognitive scientists, for example, routinely explain the workings of our minds by appealing to the computations that the brain performs. But, because these computations seem to be analog, rather than digital, we need to know more about what "analog" means.

In this lecture, Dr. Corey Maley will discuss how research into the history of analog computers allows us to understand computation in a non-digital way. While the history of digital computation is well-understood, the history of analog computation has received very little attention. He will also show how this broader understanding of computation helps make sense of contemporary claims about the computational nature of the mind and brain.

Prof. Maley's presentation begins at 7:00 PM, CDT (8:00 PM, EDT). Those of you in the greater Kansas City area are welcome to register for a free e-ticket<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/analog-computation-in-a-digital-world-understanding-the-place-of-a-bygone-technology-in-tickets-63569297480> to attend this event.
If you are unable to be here in person, you can still tune into the discussion on Livestream.com<https://livestream.com/lindahall/analogcomputing> or the Library's Facebook page<https://www.facebook.com/Linda.Hall.Library>. We also encourage livetweeting using the hashtag #LHLLive.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Thank you,

-Ben Gross

Benjamin Gross, PhD
Vice President for Research and Scholarship
Linda Hall Library of Science, Engineering and Technology
5109 Cherry Street
Kansas City, Missouri  64110
816.926.8718
grossb at lindahall.org<mailto:grossb at lindahall.org>