[SIGCIS-Members] software in univ admin, admissions, budgets, research mgmt 1970-2020

Sharon Traweek traweek at history.ucla.edu
Sun Aug 4 19:16:30 PDT 2019

Dear SIGCIS colleagues, from whom I have learned so much,

Awkwardly, I have some large queries over a large time span (1970-2020). I am seeking information on decision making about the digital resources used in university administration, admissions, budgeting, and research management since the 1970s. Much that I have found (and witnessed) concerns decisions among a very limited set of products and then deployment strategies about the selected products, rather than what I am seeking: reflections and analysis of why only some kinds of existing products were investigated, rather than developing new resources based on the distinctive features of universities. First, I would welcome counter-examples.

My preliminary inquiries suggest that much in use by universities is
* based upon “customer relationship management” (CRM) platforms developed during the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s, and
* were first designed for industry, then as the management ideas and practices on which they were based became outdated, the older products were then marketed to governments, and finally re-marketed to universities, with limited modifications.

I do see national and regional variation in these processes.
I would appreciate information about any engagements with or historical research on either of these decision processes
* among software design groups to redeploy and market older products to new sectors, or
* among universities to adapt older products, rather than develop new products specifically for their administrative processes.

When I began asking these questions I assumed there would be much research already done on these processes; perhaps it is indeed there and I have missed it. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Sincerely,
Sharon Traweek
Gender Studies/History, UCLA
http://www.genderstudies.ucla.edu/faculty/sharon-traweek<https://exchange2010.ss.ucla.edu/owa/redir.aspx?SURL=zvqfx1SvB9Oi5PmUkMQOHJ_HNRMizH7BmsV-CG7ycw1ez1ENaMHTCGgAdAB0AHAAOgAvAC8AdwB3AHcALgBnAGUAbgBkAGUAcgBzAHQAdQBkAGkAZQBzAC4AdQBjAGwAYQAuAGUAZAB1AC8AZgBhAGMAdQBsAHQAeQAvAHMAaABhAHIAbwBuAC0AdAByAGEAdwBlAGUAawA.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.genderstudies.ucla.edu%2ffaculty%2fsharon-traweek>
Access some of my publications at
https://ucla.academia.edu/STraweek<https://exchange2010.ss.ucla.edu/owa/redir.aspx?SURL=MyAq2tZ6yYDVtZY7VgdsAhOsktNe2KLbyw0uEawoUlNez1ENaMHTCGgAdAB0AHAAcwA6AC8ALwB1AGMAbABhAC4AYQBjAGEAZABlAG0AaQBhAC4AZQBkAHUALwBTAFQAcgBhAHcAZQBlAGsA&URL=https%3a%2f%2fucla.academia.edu%2fSTraweek>
https://www.linkedin.com/in/sharon-traweek-a257668<https://exchange2010.ss.ucla.edu/owa/redir.aspx?SURL=uzkN9PkMi8bLatbAzYgZQTlc4KqWrCLK6NGrQn-SZ-lez1ENaMHTCGgAdAB0AHAAcwA6AC8ALwB3AHcAdwAuAGwAaQBuAGsAZQBkAGkAbgAuAGMAbwBtAC8AaQBuAC8AcwBoAGEAcgBvAG4ALQB0AHIAYQB3AGUAZQBrAC0AYQAyADUANwA2ADYAOAA.&URL=https%3a%2f%2fwww.linkedin.com%2fin%2fsharon-traweek-a257668>
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Sharon_Traweek<https://exchange2010.ss.ucla.edu/owa/redir.aspx?SURL=jraQLuoJLfTYMn-Z8oqyEOqvFcEggUZWecLUmSPIz9Fez1ENaMHTCGgAdAB0AHAAcwA6AC8ALwB3AHcAdwAuAHIAZQBzAGUAYQByAGMAaABnAGEAdABlAC4AbgBlAHQALwBwAHIAbwBmAGkAbABlAC8AUwBoAGEAcgBvAG4AXwBUAHIAYQB3AGUAZQBrAA..&URL=https%3a%2f%2fwww.researchgate.net%2fprofile%2fSharon_Traweek>
Those sites need updating ...