[SIGCIS-Members] Criticism of von Neumann historiography

Thomas Haigh thomas.haigh at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 14:44:57 PDT 2018

Hello Richard,

Your message seems to me to be asserting three potential distinguishable things.

*	You argue that digital computers were worse than analog ones for industrial problems
*	You argue that the contribution of von Neumann and the IAS computer was important only in academic areas
*	You argue that the Californian aerospace industry was a “second birthplace of computing machines,” challenging the East Coast focus of conventional historiography.

Those are all big and bold claims to make, so for a short presentation I would suggest focusing on just one of them. Particularly as they all seem to me rather questionable.

Analog computers have not been entirely overlooked, particularly in the book The Analogue Alternative by James S. Small but also, for example, in work by David Hemmendinger, Charles Care, etc. So the SIGCIS community is well aware that analog computers were sold commercially well into the 1960s and had significant advantages over digital machines for some applications.

The application that von Neumann had in mind when coming up with the First Draft design for EDVAC was, more than anything else, hydrodynamic calculations for atomic weapon design. Not an entirely academic pastime, and Los Alamos was one of the major users of digital compute time in the second half of the 1940s. As for industrial use, digital computers could take on jobs already being performed with punched cards, as a result of which by the mid-1950s the balance of computer user was already shifting from scientific and technical use to business administration. Analog computers could not do clerical or accounting work.

Your statement that “The aircraft cluster found no use for the digital von Neumann machine” is just not true. Aerospace firms used analog computers, but they were also the single most important early adopters of digital computers. Several were clamoring for ENIAC time, they commissioned BINAC (one of the very first commercially supplied digital computers), and the prominent Southern Californian cluster of aerospace users of IBM’s 701 (originally called the Defense Calculator) formed PACT, which later developed into SHARE. Atsushi Akera has written about this. The story of the CPC is also well known. BRL, which commissioned ENIAC, was not an aircraft firm but it was concerned with things that fly through the air and with the flow of air around objects (including wings) at supersonic speeds. I think the aerospace industry is already reasonably prominent in the literature on computing in the 1940s and 1950s.

Thus my advice is to focus your argument on one of the areas, and to make clearer how your contribution builds on and extends existing work in the area rather than implying that these topics have previously been ignored.