[SIGCIS-Members] "Hidden Figures" in history of computing?

Evan Hepler-Smith ehepler at princeton.edu
Tue Feb 7 09:47:41 PST 2017

Dear Madeleine,

If you're willing to do a little digging, you might look into the work of
Georgia Sutherland at Stanford during the 1960s-70s. Sutherland did the
LISP programming for DENDRAL, an important early expert systems AI project.
Some of her correspondence regarding the project is online
<https://exhibits.stanford.edu/feigenbaum/catalog?_=1486488951509&f%5Bauthor_no_collector_ssim%5D%5B%5D=Sutherland%2C+Georgia+L.>,
and she published quite a bit on it as well.

Can't find much about her online (which is the point of studying hidden
figures, I guess). But I recall coming across a picture of her hanging out
with the other major DENDRAL figures (Ed Feigenbaum, Joshua Lederberg, Carl
Djerassi, Bruce Buchanan) at a reunion. Might be worth reaching out to
Buchanan (here's his website <https://people.cs.pitt.edu/~buchanan/>; there
must be others on this list who know him personally).

All best,
Evan

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 12:10 PM, Pierre MOUNIER-KUHN <mounier at msh-paris.fr>
wrote:

Evan Hepler-Smith
Environmental Fellow
Harvard University Center for the Environment
339.203.1096
evanheplersmith.com