[SIGCIS-Members] How to See the Internet Hiding in Plain Sight

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Sun Oct 16 16:46:13 PDT 2016

Related:

I streamed the DE-CIX New York Summit last week. In the keynote Hunter
Newby talked about the history of New York interconnection.
https://livestream.com/internetsociety/de-cix/videos/138995706

On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 7:08 PM, Ensmenger, Nathan <nensmeng at indiana.edu>
wrote:

> > On Oct 16, 2016, at 3:26 PM, Alexandre Hocquet <alexandre.hocquet at univ-
> lorraine.fr> wrote:
> >
> > Apologies if it has been mentionned before. I came across
> serendipitously on this art infrastructure project
> http://gizmodo.com/how-to-see-the-internet-hiding-in-plain-
> sight-1787633653
> >
> > which is also a book  http://www.mhpbooks.com/books/
> networks-of-new-york/
> >
> > As maintainers and infrastructure studies have been debated recently on
> the list, I wondered if it was known, and if it was, what do SIGCISers
> think about this piece?
>
> I have a copy of the *Networks of New York: An Illustrated Field Guide to
> Urban Internet Infrastructure* book, which is fabulous.   The author,
> Ingrid Burrington, was at the 2016 Maintainers conference at Stephens, and
> so she is knows the history of tech/history of computing community pretty
> well.
>
> The premise of the book — a field guide to infrastructure is brilliant.
> She describes the spray-painted codes that maintenance workers use to
> identify where things are buried, covered, or otherwise concealed.  Its the
> language of maintenance hidden in plain sight throughout the built
> environment.
>
> -Nathan
>
> ---
> Nathan Ensmenger
> Associate Professor of Informatics
> School of Informatics and Computing
> Indiana University, Bloomington
> homes.soic.indiana.edu/nensmeng/

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast