[SIGCIS-Members] How to See the Internet Hiding in Plain Sight

Ensmenger, Nathan nensmeng at indiana.edu
Sun Oct 16 16:08:23 PDT 2016

> On Oct 16, 2016, at 3:26 PM, Alexandre Hocquet <alexandre.hocquet at univ-lorraine.fr> wrote:
>
> Apologies if it has been mentionned before. I came across serendipitously on this art infrastructure project http://gizmodo.com/how-to-see-the-internet-hiding-in-plain-sight-1787633653
>
> which is also a book  http://www.mhpbooks.com/books/networks-of-new-york/
>
> As maintainers and infrastructure studies have been debated recently on the list, I wondered if it was known, and if it was, what do SIGCISers think about this piece?

I have a copy of the *Networks of New York: An Illustrated Field Guide to Urban Internet Infrastructure* book, which is fabulous.   The author, Ingrid Burrington, was at the 2016 Maintainers conference at Stephens, and so she is knows the history of tech/history of computing community pretty well.

The premise of the book — a field guide to infrastructure is brilliant.  She describes the spray-painted codes that maintenance workers use to identify where things are buried, covered, or otherwise concealed.  Its the language of maintenance hidden in plain sight throughout the built environment.

-Nathan

---
Nathan Ensmenger
Associate Professor of Informatics