[SIGCIS-Members] Good video on history of the Internet?

Luke Fernandez luke.fernandez at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 08:47:37 PST 2015

When I finish the HTML component of an intro Web programming class I show
this 10 minute interview with Robert Cailliau (Tim Berners Lee's colleague)
in his CERN offices:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2GylLq59rI

The video is conducted by Chuck Severance (among other things former E.D.
of the open source Sakai LMS project) and includes footage of Cailliau
gesturing at the Unix server that hosted the original WWW with a sticker
that says "This machine is a server do not power down!,"  an animated
debate between Severance and Callliau about the merits and demerits of
HTML, and Cailliau finally declaring that HTML had "spread like a virus
beyond repair"  (my paraphrase).    I use the video to spark a discussion
that broaches (among other things) the following questions:

   1.

   Robert Caillau video “Does the origin and history of the development of
   the internet have any impact on your experience of the internet as a
   developer and as an end-user?  If so, how?
   1.

      Was the original WWW envisioned as a community of producers and
      consumers? What happened to that vision?
      2.

      Are we still dealing with any relics from the early Web?
      3.

      Were the origins of the Web humble? What in the video suggests that
      they were? What is the significance of CERN? What role did CERN
play in the
      development of the WWW?
      4.

      Does the best technology float to the top?  Why didn’t TBLee’s
      browser become successfull?
      5.

      Have we come full circle?  Has TBLee's vision for the Web been
      realized?
      6.

      Why does Cailliau describe HTML as something that spread like a virus?

Hope this helps,

Luke Fernandez
lfernandez.org