[SIGCIS-Members] Good video on history of the Internet?

Edwin L. Whitman edwinlwhitman at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 07:57:35 PST 2015

Hi Bill,

A good introduction to the history of the Internet would consider its roots in counterculture (for reference: Fred Turner’s From Counterculture to Cyberculture) and libertarianism pathos of the 1960s which rejected state control and censorship. The BBC has put together a good television series called The Virtual Revolution that best fits what you said you are looking for and considers these important themes. Here’s another good one—clear and informative.

Not to state the obvious, sort your keyword searches by view count and make sure to read the reviews. There’s a reason some videos have 300 views and others have 3,000,000...

I think a general, introductory lesson on the Internet would be more interesting and informative for your students if you taught and explored certain concepts central to the digital web experience, like HTTP, TCP/IP, DOM, HTML/CSS. There are accessible, succinct shorts that Harvard’s intro course CS50 has put together for its web development unit, which are freely accessible on YouTube. By understanding ports/addresses/requests and looking under the hood of your browser (Chrome->right click on page->Inspect Element) you can introduce your students to some key that technologies connect users of the internet together.

Best,

Ned