[SIGCIS-Members] Oxford ConnectLife Conference: Abstract due Tuesday

Andrew Russell arussell at stevens.edu
Sun Mar 29 07:01:39 PDT 2015

FYI - this might interest some of you (note the specific mention of “History of the Internet”).

Cheers,

Andy

Begin forwarded message:

From: Scott Hale <scott.hale at oii.ox.ac.uk<mailto:scott.hale at oii.ox.ac.uk>>
Date: March 29, 2015 at 9:56:44 AM EDT
To: <citasa at list.citasa.org<mailto:citasa at list.citasa.org>>
Subject: [CITASA] Oxford ConnectLife Conference: Abstract due Tuesday

Apologies for cross posting. There is still time to submit an abstract to Oxford's Connected Life conference coming up in June. Registration is only £10 and travel bursaries will be available. Details below and at http://connectedlife.oii.ox.ac.uk/connected-life-15/cfp/

Cheers,
Scott

-------------

Connected Life 2015 is a day-long conference dedicated to igniting multidisciplinary exchanges and showcasing exciting Internet research. We welcome students and faculty from all disciplines, including (but not limited to) business, computer science, economics, education, history, international relations, law, linguistics, literature, media and communications, medicine, philosophy, politics, psychology, and sociology. Like last year’s inaugural conference, Connected Life 2015 will foster collaborations within and beyond Oxford in pursuit of an enhanced understanding of the Internet and its multifaceted effects upon society.

We invite the submission of proposals for presentations on ongoing or recent research. Proposals that address our key thematic questions are particularly encouraged: How does our digital society intersect with existing social structures, institutions, and relationships? What are the impacts of digital technology on society and how will these evolve? Topics of interest include (but are not limited to):

    Politics and Public Policy
    Science and Technology
    Teaching and Education
    Gender and Identity
    Digital Humanities
    Cybersecurity, Surveillance, and Censorship
    Big Data Methods
    Entrepreneurship and Innovation
    Virtual Markets and Economies
    Internet Infrastructure and Protocols
    Social Networking
    History of the Internet
    Mobile Technologies
    Media and Journalism

The above categories are intended only to provide a general direction for what can be discussed. We welcome submissions on any research topic related to the Internet; if you have questions about this, please contact a member of the organising team. Please note that as we are calling for presentations, not papers, proceedings will not be published. Therefore, we are willing to consider abstracts based on papers submitted to other conferences. However, we do recommend that clarification is first sought from the other intended destination(s) for your work.

Submissions for oral presentations should be in the form of either an abstract or blog post of 400-600 words. Please submit via email (to connectedlife at oii.ox.ac.uk<mailto:connectedlife at oii.ox.ac.uk>) by Tuesday, 31st March 2015. We encourage blog posts that can be published on this website and generate discussion before and after the conference; however, the choice of a blog post or traditional abstract will not affect acceptance.

We are also accepting abstracts or blogs posts (also of 400-600 words) for our Poster and Visualisation Fair, which will be running all day with a dedicated session for questions after lunch. Time and space permitting, any sort of visual is welcome (e.g., videos, interactive displays). We will do our best to accommodate interesting work that fits with the conference theme.

All abstracts and blog posts will be reviewed by a committee of students and faculty from the Oxford Internet Institute. Notification of acceptances will be communicated in mid-late April.

We are pleased to announce that we are able to provide travel support bursaries (of around £100-150) for a limited number of participants from outside the UK and Europe. If you are in need of financial assistance for travel, please indicate this in your submission.

Registration will open in April. Like last year, there will be a registration fee of £10 that covers lunch, tea and coffee, and a reception at the end of the day.

We look forward to receiving and reviewing your submissions! If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to email us at connectedlife at oii.ox.ac.uk<mailto:connectedlife at oii.ox.ac.uk>.

--
Scott Hale
Oxford Internet Institute