[SIGCIS-Members] Automation bibliography

Pierre Mounier mounier at msh-paris.fr
Tue Jun 23 02:07:17 PDT 2015

A few elements of answers.
There are several reflections comparing the social concerns about automation with the Luddite movement of the nineteenth century. AFAIK it is mostly militant-scholarly literature, for example :
Cedric Biagini,  Guillaume Carnino,  Les Luddites en France. Resistance al’industrialisation et a l’informatisation,  Montreuil,  Editions L’Echappee,  collection « Frankenstein »,  2010,  336 pages.
http://dissidences.hypotheses.org/2558
http://www.liberation.fr/grand-angle/2007/06/21/rage-against-the-machines_96524
(the latter paper also mentions  David Noble)
One of the co-authors, Celia Izoard, was recently prosecuted after demolishing biometric equipment ; she translated Kirkpatrick Sale's  Rebels Against the Future as La Revolte Luddite.

I wrote a few pages in my doctoral dissertation about the 1957 hearings and reports of the French Conseil Economique et Social on "the social consequences of automation". It obviously aimed at adressing the concerns about job destruction by automatic machinery and computers. It essentially (and unsurprisingly) concluded that automation would induce change, rather than loss, of jobs ; and require considerable educational efforts.

Anecdotically Renault, the car manufacturer, acquired in the late 1950s an IBM 705, soon nicknamed Anatole. In 1960, after the failure of Renault's commercial venture in the USA,  the management decided to fire 3030 workers. The story goes that the computer was programmed to chose worker profiles to prepare the layoff decision “On  October 10,  the to-be fired workers at Billancourt gathered and set off to "break the face" of the inaccessible Anatole ("casser la gueule à Anatole"). A riot started. High pressure was organized by the communist union CGT – with no great result.”
(Richter Daniel et alii,  Renault,  100 ans d'histoire sociale,  Boulogne-Billancourt,  Comité de Groupe Européen Renault,  1999).

Best,
Pierre Mounier-Kuhn