[SIGCIS-Members] My CACM column "We Have Never Been Digital"

James Smithies james.smithies at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Sep 25 20:39:16 PDT 2014

Dear Tom,

As someone employed as a Senior Lecturer in Digital Humanities and with an interest in the history of technology and computing, I enjoyed your article immensely. I’ve just signed a contract to produce a book that dovetails very nicely with your argument, as it happens, so will be exploring the area in more depth over the coming year or so. ‘The Digital’ is as evocative of our current era as flares and sideburns were to the 1970s, no doubt about that, but if we can get enough critical distance it becomes a  fascinating object of study. DH is wrapped up with it (some would say implicated in it), to be sure, in the same way (perhaps) Dada was to modernism or pop art to postmodernism. Most ‘DHers’ I know just want to use technology to enhance the broader tradition, though; the administrative / marketing / disciplinary / etc vehicles we use to do that are or should be secondary. In many ways the current moment has just gotten away on a bunch of humanists who happen to also be interested in tech. If we can be of service to the broader tradition and (this is crucial) develop a mature intellectual relationship to our era and our practices, I see no harm.

My only gripe with your article – apologies if I misinterpreted this - is that I do think that some humanists should be developing tech skills. We can’t leave that up to computer scientists and software vendors (who have other priorities), we need to learn to collaborate with computer scientists and engineers (so we can help them build the products we use), and it’s a good way to better understand our latest digital bubble. Aside from a bunch of other things, tech skills are useful for teaching, research, and publishing. And that attitude is at the core of the digital humanities in my opinion: the circumstances of scholarship and the corporate university mean we need to articulate ‘product lines’ and ‘new directions’ and ‘relevance’ but I’d like to think all most of us care about is getting on and contributing to the scholarly tradition with the best tools available. If DH can help us do that – for now and into the future as well – all the better.

I did my doctorate during the 1990s, back when humanities computing as well as the history of computing (and history of technology generally) were peripheral to humanities scholarship, and viewed as second-rate in some circles. It’s good to see the vision of the early adopters in both fields maturing, regardless of the static to noise ratio that has resulted from this absurd digital moment we’re experiencing. The Humanities Computing + DH + SIGCIS combo is a grand one – may the conversations begin.

I was delighted to see there will be a THATCamp SHOT after the Dearborn SHOT meeting: http://shot2014.thatcamp.org/. It seems a logical venue for some of us to continue this discussion.

Best regards,

James Smithies

Senior Lecturer in Digital Humanities | University of Canterbury
dh.canterbury.ac.nz | +64 3 364 38966