[SIGCIS-Members] My CACM column "We Have Never Been Digital"

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Thu Sep 25 10:03:44 PDT 2014

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to let everyone know that my column "We Have Never Been
Digital" was published in the September issue of Communications of the ACM.
This builds on some comments I made in commenting on a SIGCIS session at the
2013 SHOT meeting, basically that as historians of computing we understand
what "digital" actually means and have something useful to say on the
subject to other humanists. It also makes the case for "the digital" as
something that has its own history, and that reflects the kind of utopian
rupture talk that humanists have good reason to be wary of rather than build
their own identities around. I know that many within the digital humanities
community share these concerns, but in the space available could not really
delve into that. Perhaps something SIGICS could organize an event to explore
the relationship of the history of computing to the digital humanities in
the future?

It can be read without an ACM subscription from

http://www.tomandmaria.com/tom/Writing/CACM-WeHaveNeverBeenDigital.pdf

Or, if you do have ACM access, from
http://cacm.acm.org/magazines/2014/9/177930-we-have-never-been-digital/fullt
ext (it's not working right now, but will presumably be fixed).

One of the intended features of this list is the announcement of new
relevant publications by members, so please don't assume that this is a perk
available only to SIG officers. If you published something related to the
history of IT in the last few months then do go ahead and let the community
know. Many of your potential readers are right here on this list and may
otherwise never come across your work.