[SIGCIS-Members] First instructional videos for Macintosh?

Luisa Emmi Beck emmi.beck at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 12:56:41 PDT 2014

Hi Marc,

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Could I ask a few follow-up questions?

> Nothing much like Engelbart's NLS has ever reached the mass market, and if
> it suddenly did today it would need to overcome 30 years of habit.

​Can you say more about that? What parts of Engelbart's NLS do you think
are still missing? ​

​And have they not reached the mass market because of a learning curve? Or
what other potential reasons?​

> Incidentally, Doug did have quite a bit of contact with Apple in the '80s
> and there were people there who had huge respect for him. But there weren't
> many direct results.

​Do you mean that people didn't carry on his ideas at other companies like
Apple? What ideas do you think were lost and why?​

> If you want to learn more about Engelbart and the mouse, there are a lot
> of resources I can point you to. The bulk of the archives of his group at
> SRI as well as his personal papers are with us or at Stanford Libraries,
> and we collaborate extensively.
>
> We did an event in Doug's memory last December, here's a writeup and
> several links:
> http://www.computerhistory.org/atchm/chm-fellow-douglas-c-engelbart/

​This writeup is wonderful. Thank you! Ted Nelson's Eulogy is also quite
moving.
​