[SIGCIS-Members] First instructional videos for Macintosh?

Marc Weber marc at webhistory.org
Tue Sep 9 12:30:52 PDT 2014

Hello Luisa:

This is a great topic, but also a big one! The short answer is that yes, you've put your finger on a BIG tension between the design philosophy of Doug Engelbart (as well as Ted Nelson) and the later Graphical User Interface-based approach developed at Xerox PARC and adapted by Apple.

Engelbart's criticism of the GUI, one-button mouse etc. is that they were like a tricycle; easy to learn, but you could never go as fast as on a bicycle. NLS and the input devices for it had a learning curve, like a bicycle does, but once you were good you could fly through information space almost as fast as actors do when they use computers in movies.

The fact that users have learned to write or type again for mobile phones (nine-key number pad for texting, thumb keyboard later on) and the Palm Pilot (Graffitti alphabet) calls into question the idea that people won't learn anything hard in terms of human-computer interfaces; you just need the right motivation. But that doesn't mean that when the Mac and the GUI made creaky, command-intensive personal computers easier to use for ordinary people, that this wasn't a really BIG deal at the time.

Apple's design philosophy is partly about beauty and elegance, and certainly some people would argue that they have favored form over function. But since a lot of Apple's competitors over the year's haven't offered standout form or function, it's a fairly hypothetical debate. Nothing much like Engelbart's NLS has ever reached the mass market, and if it suddenly did today it would need to overcome 30 years of habit.

Incidentally, Doug did have quite a bit of contact with Apple in the '80s and there were people there who had huge respect for him. But there weren't many direct results.

If you want to learn more about Engelbart and the mouse, there are a lot of resources I can point you to. The bulk of the archives of his group at SRI as well as his personal papers are with us or at Stanford Libraries, and we collaborate extensively.

We did an event in Doug's memory last December, here's a writeup and several links: http://www.computerhistory.org/atchm/chm-fellow-douglas-c-engelbart/

Here are some searches related to Engelbart and the mouse within our "Revolution" exhibition: http://www.computerhistory.org/revolution/search?q=engelbart, http://www.computerhistory.org/revolution/search?q=mouse&x=0&y=0,

We also have extensive video footage of Doug in our collection, as well as a "show and tell" interview with Bill English, co-inventor of the mouse

If you're telling the story of the mouse the 20 years between its invention in 1964 and its popularization with the Mac is heavily focused around Xerox PARC; I can also point you to resources for that part of the history. You might also want to mention the Logitech story (they funded Engelbart's offices out of gratitude, starting in the '80s).

Best, Marc

Marc Weber  |   marc at webhistory.org  |   +1 415 282 6868
Internet History Program Founder and Curator, Computer History Museum
1401 N Shoreline Blvd., Mountain View CA 94043 computerhistory.org/nethistory
Co-founder, Web History Center and Project, webhistory.org