[SIGCIS-Members] First instructional videos for Macintosh?

Nathan Ensmenger nathan.ensmenger at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 13:20:42 PDT 2014

On Sep 9, 2014, at 1:26 PM, Luisa Emmi Beck <emmi.beck at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm fascinated by Doug Engelbart's early three-button mouse and chorded keyset system. Some people I've talked to say that Doug used it for almost all tasks except for when he was typing long texts- which is when he switched to using the QWERTY keyboard).

Luisa — Thierry Bardini’s history of Englebart (entitled *Bootstrapping*) does an excellent job of differentiating between Englebart’s construction of the mouse-key chord as “augmentation” and later reinterpretations of the mouse as being “user-friendly.”

Bootstrapping is an excellent book that deserves larger attention.  It might be helpful to you.  And the last chapter, which is about the collapse of the Augmentation Lab, prompted in part by a very late 1970s California obsession with Werner Erhard’s est seminars is absolutely fascinating…

-Nathan

—
Nathan Ensmenger
Associate Professor of Informatics