[SIGCIS-Members] Origin of the Tablet

Elizabeth Petrick elizabeth.petrick at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 11:51:46 PST 2014

This discussion on early tablet histories is very timely for me. I'm just
starting a large project on the history of tablet computer interfaces and I
was hoping someone on this list might be able to help me track down some
materials.

I'm particularly interested in some of these attempts at Apple during the
late 1970s and 1980s to build tablets, including two that aren't mentioned
in the CHM article: the Pocket Crystal and Magic Slate. Steven Levy has
mentioned these projects a little bit in some of his writing, but otherwise
I've never seen anything on them. I know that Bill Atkinson was involved
with both.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I might be able to find materials on
these projects? There doesn't appear to be anything at Stanford's Apple
archive. Alternatively, is anyone in contact with Atkinson?

Thanks everyone!
Elizabeth Petrick

Assistant Professor
Federated Department of History