[SIGCIS-Members] Origin of the Tablet

Evan Koblentz evan at snarc.net
Mon Dec 22 15:07:09 PST 2014

> I'm particularly interested in some of these attempts at Apple during
> the late 1970s and 1980s to build tablets, including two that aren't
> mentioned in the CHM article: the Pocket Crystal and Magic Slate.

I corresponded privately with Elizabeth, but maybe others are interested
in the Apple aspect. Apple had several competing projects during the
Newton development era (late 1980s through mid-1990s):

Code name: Junior
Result: became Newton

Code name: Smartifacts
Result: canceled

Code name: Swatch / Pocket Mac
Result: canceled

Code name: Pocket Crystal
Result: became General Magic's Magic Cap

It's possible that there were other still other teams.