[SIGCIS-Members] Fwd: IHPST NEWSLETTER: November 28, 2014

Willard McCarty willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Dec 4 12:42:30 PST 2014

Thanks to Nabeel Siddiqui for the comments. The ignorance of analogue
computing and confusion over the term is widespread, not just among
those who are associated with digital humanities. On analogue computing
specifically I can recommend Charles Care's Technology for Modelling
(Springer 2010), his chapter in Chris Bissell and Chris Dillon, eds.
Ways of Thinking, Ways of Seeing (
Springer 2012), and James Small's The
Analogue Alternative (Routledge 2001). Vannevar Bush's papers from the
1930s are valuable, also his autobiography, Pieces of the Action.

To my mind the best way to think about digital humanities is to locate
its intellectual and practical core in the intersection of computing and
the humanities, or more radically, at the crash-site where they collide
with each other. Its essential to avoid thinking of the relation which
constitutes the field as one way, not just computing/CS impacting the
humanities, leading to all manner of fascinating outcomes, nor just the
humanities specifying applications to be written, leading to useful
tools, but both simultaneously. The conditions under which computer
science came to be and has grown are very different, but the two fields
share some of the same problems.

Historically digital humanities grew out of technologically adept people
in a position of service working for a small minority of interested
scholars, leading to service centres of various kinds, most of which no
longer exist because they did not have a purchase on the core mandate of
their institutions. Academic departments and academic appointments are a
very recent phenomenon, though the number of these are growing.

I suggest that anyone interested in matters of this sort subscribe to
Humanist, dhhumanist.org, which has been going since 1987.

Yours,
WM

Group, University of Western Sydney