[SIGCIS-Members] Fwd: IHPST NEWSLETTER: November 28, 2014

Nabeel Siddiqui nasiddiqui at email.wm.edu
Thu Dec 4 09:48:27 PST 2014

I think the question of the digital humanities as a discipline is critical
here, and agree the question of "what is the science" in "computer science"
needs to be asked.

 I have recently started identifying more often as a cultural historian of
new media/computers.  Previously, I identified with the digital humanities
more, and I still identify with it it some degree.

As I'v understood it, I think the digital humanities more or less consists
of three groups.  One, individuals interested in a humanities oriented
approach to the "digital," such as questions of access, race, gender, etc.
Two, individuals interested in using computational techniques in humanities
research.  Three, individuals interested in digital media studies more
broadly.

While not all of them are related to the philosophy of computing or history
of computing.  I think there is great overlap. The only problem are the
role of analog computers.  I haven't seen much work in the digital
humanities on them, but I would be curious as to what the history of
computing can do in regards to breaking down the "digital" qualifier.
Perhaps the old term humanities computing would be better still.