[SIGCIS-Members] Invite to Write Essay on Tech History and Stuxnet

Jon Lindsay jonrlindsay at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 08:37:01 PDT 2013

James, hi, good to see you around here, and SIGCISers:

I have a paper in the most recent issue of Security Studies evaluating the
impact of Stuxnet. I argue that as the one historical example of cyberwar,
the empirical details of Stuxnet don't really support three of the big
assumptions in cyberwar discourse: i.e., that cyberwar advantages
traditionally weak actors against the strong, that offense is easier than
defense, and that deterrence is impossible.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09636412.2013.816122#.UkBeY8ayCPM

Also, while I'm shamelessly self promoting, another recent paper might be
of interest to those of you interested in military IT & particularly
"revolution in military affairs" discourse: this one looks at the
interaction between "network-centric" doctrine and its application in
"population-centric" counterinsurgency, where I argue the contradiction is
not as stark as it seems.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/01402390.2012.734252#.UkBfn8ayCPM

Best,
Jon