[SIGCIS-Members] Invite to Write Essay on Tech History and Stuxnet

Paul N. Edwards pne at umich.edu
Sun Sep 22 10:18:19 PDT 2013

Dear James,

I wish I could say yes to this, but I'm afraid it's a bit outside my competence, and on top of that my writing queue is completely full for the next year or so.

You could also try Tom Haigh at UW Milwaukee, who knows everyone. Not a potential contributor himself, though.

Best,

Paul

On Sep 19, 2013, at 15:35 , "Mulvenon, James" <James.Mulvenon at defensegp.com> wrote:

> Dr. Edwards:
>
> For the Cyber Conflict Studies Association, I am leading a project entitled “Cyber Conflict After Stuxnet” that explores how cyber conflict, cyber policy, and the cyber environment have changed since the disclosure of Stuxnet. As part of this project, CCSA is seeking experts in the field to write essays on different facets of Stuxnet's deployment and effects. Dr. Michael Adas of Rutgers suggested we contact you to see if you would be interested or available.
>
> We are asking you to author an essay comparing Stuxnet to previous technology innovations in conflict and the potential ramifications for Stuxnet and cyber conflict. We conceive this as a 10-page essay (approximately 2,500 words), focused on this particular topic and based on your expertise in this field. The piece should be written in an essay/op-ed style, with limited to no footnotes. We invite you to view this essay as an opportunity to be thought-provoking and speculative about the future of cyber conflict.
>
> In addition to authoring this essay, we are planning a symposium event in the fall (13 November 2013), where authors can discuss their papers, provide feedback, and consider the implications of the project. This symposium will also serve as a forum for cross-disciplinary discussions on Stuxnet and related issues.  If you cannot attend the symposium, but still would be interested in writing an essay, that can also be an option.
>
> We would like to invite you to author an essay and participate in our symposium for an honorarium of $2,000 ($1,000 after the completion of the symposium and $1,000 after the successful delivery of the final draft). Travel costs will be covered for those coming from out of the DC area.
>
> Please see the attached documents for more information, including information on timing, and let us know if you are willing to participate in this project. The timing is fluid, given our time constraints. We believe the project would benefit greatly from your contribution, and look forward to working with you. If you cannot participate, please provide other experts you think would be able to contribute to this essay compendium.
>
> If you have any questions, please contact me at this email address or 703-868-4324 or my co-Principal Investigator, Hannah Pitts, at hannah at cyberconflict.org or 805-901-2874.
>
> Warmest,
> James
>
> James Mulvenon
> Director, Center for Intelligence Research and Analysis, DGI
> Chairman of the Board, Cyber Conflict Studies Association
> University of Michigan, 1991<Stuxnet Project One Pager - Final.pdf>

___________________________

Paul N. Edwards
Professor of Information and History, University of Michigan
A Vast Machine: Computer Models, Climate Data, and the Politics of Global Warming (MIT Press, 2010)

Terse replies are deliberate (and better than nothing)

3439 North Quad
105 S. State Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1285
(734) 764-2617 (office)