[SIGCIS-Members] Paul Baran papers coming to Stanford

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Fri May 13 15:34:43 PDT 2011

Good news from the interwebs: Facebook has presented me with a message from
Henry Lowood, who is responsible for the computing archival collections at
Stanford, that he "Transferred Paul Baran's papers to Stanford today. Paul
was one of the greats in Silicon Valley. Don't know who he is? Shame on you
and run don't walk to http://bit.ly/1DcNvF. And very worthwhile if you have
a little time (Paul, not the interlocutor): http://bit.ly/hOBskH"

In case you don't want to click the links, Baran is best known for devising
the concept of a packet switching network, the fundamental approach on which
the Internet is build. (As with pretty much every other invention worth
claiming there are other inventors).

In a followup post, Lowood notes that "We will need to re-house the papers
and convert the existing listing to our finding aid format. Can't say how
long it will take, but there is reason for optimism that this collection
will be available relatively soon. It came to us in excellent shape and
well-organized"

So great to see that this material is being preserved.

Stanford already holds some other important collections, including the Apple
archives.