[SIGCIS-Members] Knuth

Ceruzzi, Paul CeruzziP at si.edu
Wed Jan 26 05:57:20 PST 2011

I hope I did not give the impression that I thought Knuth had neglected the series in the past 4 decades. Rather than prolong this argument I will quote from Knuth, vol.. 1, p. 463, who in turn quotes Sherlock Holmes:

"You will, I am sure, agree with me that if page 534 finds us only in the second chapter, the length of the first must have been really intolerable."

One other thing: In my blog post I said that exercise 4, p. xix of Volume One--Fermat's last Theorem--has since been solved. I believe I misspoke, perhaps confusing it with the four-color problem. Have any members of SIGCIS worked through exercise 4?

Paul E. Ceruzzi