[SIGCIS-Members] FW: Knuth vol 4A

Thomas Haigh thaigh at computer.org
Wed Jan 26 08:23:02 PST 2011

[Forwarded from Jim Cortada, who has also been hit with the mysterious mail
problem when posting to the list. Given that there are more than 250 people
on the list we've probably had enough messages on this topic now. We are
experimenting with blog posts for some announcements, so that this kind of
back and forth chat can take place among those with particular interest in
the topic in the comments under the post. Tom].

Message from Jim Cortada follows:

William McMillan <wmcmillan at emich.edu>, <members at sigcis.org>

cc:

08:03:10 AM Today

Re: [SIGCIS-Members] Knuth vol 4A

The conversation about Professor Knuth has been very interesting and all
over the place. I sense a tinge of criticism for his work, e.g., doubts if
vol. 4 will be published, if it has and how, importance of his work, etc. I
think we need to keep something very fundamental in mind: That this
gentleman did more to codify important parts of computer science and
published more on his chosen subjects of importance than any of us on this
siglist have so far. We need to respect this professor's lifetime of
accumulated achievement and celebrate every new publication that he
produces. How many of you would be able--let alone be willing--to continue
contributing after the age of 70? If I were him reading the comments we have
published so far, I would feel a bit concerned. One of the purposes of this
sigcis group is to create a virtual community to reinforce positively each
others' work and to celebrate our accomplishments. I view Professor Knuth as
a founding member of the computer science community and feel privileged that
he has long demonstrated interest in our work on the history of IT. Let's
return the respect and affection that he deserves.

Dr. Jim (James) W. Cortada
IBM Institute for Business Value
2917 Irvington Way
Madison, WI 53713 USA
jwcorta at us.ibm.com
608-270-4462

Inactive hide details for William McMillan ---01/26/2011 07:35:25 AM---I
know you aren't necessarily saying it, Dave, but sayinWilliam McMillan
---01/26/2011 07:35:25 AM---I know you aren't necessarily saying it, Dave,
but saying that "...his typesetting work has had more

William McMillan <wmcmillan at emich.edu>

members at sigcis.org

01/26/11 07:35 AM

Re: [SIGCIS-Members] Knuth vol 4A

Sent by:

members-bounces at sigcis.org

  _____

I know you aren't necessarily saying it, Dave, but saying that "...his
typesetting work has had more impact on the world than his TAOCP, i.e.,
algorithm, work" is kind of like saying that building the hanging gardens of
Babylon had more impact than inventing algebra.

  _____