[SIGCIS-Members] petroleum and computers

David Alan Grier grier at gwu.edu
Tue Sep 14 05:18:54 PDT 2010

I tend to agree that it was a big consumer of computer cycles but I
also have my doubts.  After I wrote a Column in Computer in December
2006 on the Univac Service Center for the Petroleum Industry in
Dallas, which famously lost money and closed in the early 60s, I
received a a small torrent of emails from retired petroleum engineers
who felt that they were finally receiving their due.  As Jonathon
noted, they were doing high dimensional fourier transforms and lots of
linear programming, which consumes lots of cycles.  I received emails
from an  Esso engineer, who noted that they took delivery of the first
Univac 1103 in '56 and had von Neumann as a consultant.  I also got a
note from a Chevron engineer who told me about the work he did in the
early 60s.  At the same time, if you look at the companies buying
large machines in the 50s, 60s, and early 70s you find that aerospace
firms out number petroleum firms.

Unless other evidence is out there, I tend to accept the thesis that
the aerospace industry was the lead consumer of computers with
petroleum behind it.

David
David Alan Grier
Vice President of Publications, IEEE Computer Society
Associate Professor of International Science and Technology Policy

Center for International Science and Technology Policy
Elliott School Of International Affairs
George Washington University
grier at computer.org