[SIGCIS-Members] petroleum and computers

JOHNSON, ANN AJOHNSON at mailbox.sc.edu
Tue Sep 14 06:27:59 PDT 2010

Seems to me that this is a complicated question.  How do we measure
consumers of computers?  By who buys the largest number?  That seems to
be easy to adjudicate (sales records of the small number of producers
would net this), but that approach leaves out quite a bit.  Maybe we
need to know that as a starting point, but then we have to ask about
usage within the organizations that purchase them, both in terms of
operations and in terms of how demanding those operations were.  Also
the question of use brings in university researchers.  I know from my
own work that aerospace engineers at Berkeley were early adopters but
they didn't have their own mainframe in the 50s, so they wouldn't be
trackable as 701-2 'owner.'  But the research was funded by Boeing, so
needs to be counted in the column of aero/defense consumers.

Ann