[SIGCIS-Members] petroleum and computers

Geoffrey C. Bowker gbowker at pitt.edu
Tue Sep 14 05:53:35 PDT 2010

  Hi folks,

I don't know about the largest, but certainly at the forefront.  I'd
look to Schlumberger and their and my nemesis Halliburton.  Schlumberger
produced the first real intelligent system (Prospector) and were big on
analogue computers when the latter were in their prime.  There is a huge
amount of number crunching in seismic and electric subsurface
computing.  I doubt that they'd exceed the insurance industry (which
everyone forgets coz it's so prosaic).  I wrote a book lo these many
years called Science on the Run which was about the first 20 years of
Schlumberger; there is also a more generic history (mine is quirky)
which goes longer, but have forgotten the title.

take care,

geof