[SIGCIS-Members] 17th-19th c. exhibitions of computers

Brian Randell Brian.Randell at ncl.ac.uk
Wed Mar 19 03:19:57 PDT 2008

At 20:54 -0400 18/3/08, Bernard Geoghegan wrote:
>Hi SIGCIS members,
>     I'm doing some research on the 20th century exhibition of
>computers, particularly in the form of automata and televised
>calculating machines.  I'd like to look for some historical
>precedents, though.  Does anyone know of any works discussing the
>exhibition of calculating machines from the 17th through the 19th
>century?  For example, in the 19th century calculating machines were
>sent to at least one World's Fair, and in in the 18th c. von
>Kempelen's chess playing Turk inspired popular speculations and
>exciting about thinking machines, etc.
>     Thanks for your help.
>Bernard
>

>Bernard Geoghegan
>Doctoral Candidate, Program in Screen Cultures, Northwestern University
>Institute Visitor, Program in Science, Technology and Society,
>Massachusetts Institute of Technology

One of the best i know, though slightly out of your time frame, is:

Napier Tercentenary Celebration: Handbook of the Exhibition, ed. E.
M. Horsburgh, pp. 124-127, Edinburgh, Royal Society of Edinburgh,
1914. [(Also published as Modern Instruments and Methods of
Calculation: A Handbook of the Napier Tercentenary Celebration
Exhibition, G. Bell and Sons, London, 1914.)]

Cheers

Brian Randell

--
School of Computing Science, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK