[SIGCIS-Members] History courses in CS departments

Lachlan Kermode lachlankermode at live.com
Wed Feb 15 10:09:28 PST 2023

Hi Evan- it’s not exactly a history course, but I teach a seminar targeted at final year undergead students in Brown University’s CS department called “CS for Social Change” in which we cover _some_ labor history (very peremptorily), in case it’s helpful: https://cs-for-social-change.ohrg.org/

This is part of the Socially Responsible Computing program, which is a department-wide initiative to integrate certain kinds of socio-historical thinking in the undergraduate CS curriculum, website here: http://ethics.cs.brown.edu/

(We’re working on making our materials more public, so there’s not as much info as there could be on this side currently— but I’m happy to share more details about it if anything specifically interests.)

Best,
Lachlan Kermode