[SIGCIS-Members] History courses in CS departments

STEPHEN KAISLER skaisler1 at comcast.net
Wed Feb 15 10:01:29 PST 2023

Eva:

I taught a History of Computing Course back in 2000 George Washington University in the Computer Science Dept., but could not reprise it because of need to re-allocate me to other courses.

I strongly believe in the History of Computing and have embarked on a multi-volume series of books called Historical Computing Machines being published by Cambridge Scholars Publishing of Newcastle-on-Tyne, England.

So far, 7 volumes have been published with the 2-book set on Control Data to be submitted within the next month for publication.

I did this because when I queried my students  about historical events in computing, they were largely unaware of them. So, I started writing this series to provide a set of books describe various machine architectures. I use anecdotes from the books to infuse my lectures with historical information.

Stephen Kaisler
Adjunct Professor of Engineering
Dept. of Computer Science