[SIGCIS-Members] The Communicators

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 14:17:30 PDT 2022

Did nobody mention Babbage himself? He wrote about it before Menabrea, who wrote about it before Lovelace.

McCluhan's Global Village is certainly unavoidable.

Leslie Comrie. He probably had as much influence as Hartree in promoting computing in the UK, but mainly behind the scenes. I'm not sure he published much.

Possibly John Womersley, especially this publication:
J. R. Womersley, "Scientific computing in Great Britain", in Mathematical
Tables and Other
Aids to Computation, 2, 110-117 (1946).

Less well known: Pierre de Latil. For background, see http://www.rutherfordjournal.org/article050103.html (and if the images appear broken, see https://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~brian/rutherford8.html).

I suspect that there were other visionaries not writing in English.

On a personal note, I was very much influenced by the September 1966 issue of Scientific American, which was dedicated to "Information". I believe
it later came out as a book. It's only 9 months too late for you.

Regards
    Brian Carpenter

On 18-Mar-22 03:58, Evan Koblentz wrote:
> I’m interested in a new-to-me research angle: the people who changed computing by writing about it.
>
> Lovelace comes to mind. So do Vannevar Bush and Edmund Berkeley.
>
>  1. Who else should I consider from prior to 1965? (I have the microcomputer generation covered.)
>  2. Are there existing papers on this subject?
>
> NJIT logo <https://www.njit.edu/>
>

> *Evan A Koblentz*
> Staff Writer, Office of Strategic Communications
> Adjunct Instructor, Ying Wu College of Computing
> evan.a.koblentz at njit.edu <mailto:evan.a.koblentz at njit.edu> •
(973) 596-3065 <tel:9735963065>