[SIGCIS-Members] Homework assignment types for computer history survey course?

Christine Finn christine.finn at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 11:41:27 PDT 2022

Hi Evan,

For a decade, I taught Silicon Valley as a type of contemporary archaeology
fieldwork at the University of Bristol, UK.

My first assignment each year was in the classroom, asking students to
recall their personal tech history, ie what they used, what they discarded.
It might sound a bit light, but it brought up some deep discussion, and you
could set it as an essay.

That question is the basis of the long duree sequel to "Artifacts".

cheers,

Christine

Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London
Author: Artifacts: an archaeologist's year in Silicon Valley (MIT Press)