[SIGCIS-Members] Fully Funded PhD Studentship on computing technology, sports, and media

Troy Astarte t.k.astarte at swansea.ac.uk
Tue Dec 13 07:52:36 PST 2022

Hi SIGCIS,

I’m pleased to advertise for a fully-funded 3 year PhD opportunity at Swansea University. The research project examines the relationship between computing technology, sports, and media, and offers the chance for a student to perform multidisciplinary research which can include history of computing/technology, STS, and media studies. The core aim is to add to our understanding of how technology shapes sports, and vice versa. The project is aligned with the PhD in Computer Science programme and candidates must have demonstrable technical expertise which they will also be expected to deploy during the project. I will be the primary supervisor, with further advisory support provided by colleagues in CS, media studies, and sports science.

Funding is provided by the Faculty of Science and Engineering and EPSRC and covers tuition fees plus a stipend at normal UKRI rates. International candidates are welcome to apply and a successful international candidate would have their full tuition fees paid. However do note that 30 studentships were awarded this round and a maximum of 10 can be awarded to international candidates.

For full details, and to apply, please see https://www.swansea.ac.uk/postgraduate/scholarships/research/computer-science-epsrc-su-phd-quantifying-2023-rs211.php. The closing date for applications is 13th January 2023. Interviews for shortlisted candidates will take place in late January / early February with decisions made by the beginning of March. There are four possible starting dates from October 2023 to July 2024.

I would be grateful if you could pass this advert around your network. I welcome informal enquiries from prospective candidates though I may be a bit slower to respond to email over the winter break.

Best,

Dr. Troy Kaighin Astarte (they/them / nhw)

Lecturer, Computer Science / Darlithydd, Cyfrifiadureg
Swansea University / Prifysgol Abertawe

For students: my office hours are Wednesday and Friday, 10–1100, CoFO 407 and online).
I fyfyrwyr: fy oriau swyddfa yw dydd Mercher a dydd Gwener (CoFo 407 ac ar-lein), 10–1100.
Zoom office: https://swanseauniversity.zoom.us/my/t.k.astarte
Supervision booking: https://doodle.com/bp/troyastarte/supervision

Every email has a cost to the climate. Please think before sending short emails.
Mae gan bob e-bost gost i’r hinsawdd. Meddyliwch cyn i chi anfon e-byst byr.