[SIGCIS-Members] Tips on 18th - 20th c. nautical and astronomical tables

Schmitt, Martin martin.schmitt at tu-darmstadt.de
Mon Apr 4 05:09:42 PDT 2022

Dear Bernard,

on the maritime part of your question: I would definitely have a look at the works of Sabine Höhler (KTH Stockholm):
"Depth Records and Ocean Volumes: Ocean Profiling by Sounding Technology, 1850-1930," History and Technology 18 (2002) 2, pp. 119-154.
and "Nature’s Accountability.
Theme issue Science as Culture 19 (2010) 4", co-edited with Rafael Ziegler.

I was also fascinated by the works of Helen Mair Rawsthorne (LASTIG, Université Gustave Eiffel). She gave a talk on "Analysing 18th century hydrographic data: a campaign in the Bay of Biscay, 1750-1751“ and used Digital Humanities methods for it. Amazing research!
Best wishes from Darmstadt,
Martin

Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter | Post-Doc | digital enthusiast

Technische Universität Darmstadt
Institut für Geschichte
Fachgebiet Technikgeschichte

Mail: martin.schmitt at tu-darmstadt.de<mailto:martin.schmitt at tu-darmstadt.de>
Tel: +49  6151-16-57327
http://www.computerisierung.com

&

Assoziierter Wissenschaftler
LEIBNIZ-ZENTRUM FÜR ZEITHISTORISCHE FORSCHUNG | POTSDAM

Vice Chair IFIP WG 9.7 „History of computing“

Zuletzt erschienen: Die Digitalisierung der Kreditwirtschaft. Computereinsatz in den Sparkassen der Bundesrepublik und der DDR 1957-1991, Göttingen: Wallstein-Verlag 2021, https://www.wallstein-verlag.de/9783835333710-die-digitalisierung-der-kreditwirtschaft.html