[SIGCIS-Members] Tips on 18th - 20th c. nautical and astronomical tables

Ross Bassett ross at ncsu.edu
Mon Apr 4 05:31:31 PDT 2022

Bernard, Another source on the nautical part would be
Margaret Schotte Sailing School:  Navigating Science and Skill, 1550-1880  (Baltimore:  Johns Hopkins University Press, 2019).
Here is her website on the book:
https://www.sailingschoolbook.com/ <https://www.sailingschoolbook.com/>
Best,
Ross Bassett

> On Apr 4, 2022, at 7:29 AM, Bernard Geoghegan <bernardgeoghegan2010 at u.northwestern.edu> wrote:
>
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> Can anyone recommend key works on 18th-20th c. astronomical, nautical, and maritime charts, esp as a pre-history to modern information processing? I’m trying to write a history of how 19th c. visuality was pieced together at sea, from a patchwork of observations, charts, tables, astrolabes, etc, in which a regime of calculations and information processing figure centrally in making visual sense of the surrounding world.
>
> To give a very general idea of where I’m coming from, I’ve found some very useful work in the Campbell-Kelly et al volume on “The History of Mathematical Tables,” and Mindell’s work on naval systems of artillery control has also been an inspiring point of reference.
>
> Thank for your thoughts on further sources!
>
> Warmly, Bernard
> This email is relayed from members at sigcis.org, the email discussion list of SHOT SIGCIS. Opinions expressed here are those of the member posting and are not reviewed, edited, or endorsed by SIGCIS. The list archives are at http://lists.sigcis.org/pipermail/members-sigcis.org/ and you can change your subscription options at http://lists.sigcis.org/listinfo.cgi/members-sigcis.org

Ross Bassett
Professor of History
Director Benjamin Franklin Scholars
North Carolina State University