[SIGCIS-Members] Origins of "clean" code

mariann unterluggauer mariann at nomatic.org
Fri Sep 3 23:02:03 PDT 2021

hi,
i once was interested in the same question.
clean and dirty, readable code, etc.pp.
so i asked the programmers.
i mean you still can do so.
their profession is not that old so many are still around to ask.

niklaus wirth is still around as terry winograd - i hope,
tony hoare, donald knuth, ...

in regard to clean i remember adele goldberg told me:
it needs to fit on one screen.

"Really good code, readable code, is the pride of every programmer.
Ideally, it should be short and concise.
In any case, it should fit on a screen page in a clearly visible way.
If you have to scroll you are forced to keep the lines in your head - that's annoying." (2001)

i suggest to understand programmers and their phrasing you can dig brian foote: "big ball of mud" is a great read, about shantytowns and spaghetti code | http://laputan.org/

sort of transcript of my own radio show to that:

programming languages: be quick and get dirty, 2001 https://web.archive.org/web/20030627085330fw_/http://matrix.orf.at/bkframe/011007_1.htm

(you need to make use of deepl.com, as it is in german ... )

all the best,
mariann